Friday, September 26, 2008

What is the difference between "ao" and "yaak"?

"ao" and "yaak" means "want" and "want to" in English.
Many people use these 2 words wrong sometimes so let's learn
some rules that help you speak Thai in the correct way.

"ao" means "want" is followed by noun ;example:
ao nam yen (I want cold water.)
ao gaa-fae rawhn (I want hot coffee.)
mai ao nam-kaehng (I don't want any ice.)
ao kaao-pat (I want fried rice.)
ao an nan (I want that one.)
ao chaa kiao (I want green tea.)
(kiao means green.)
ao waai daeng (I want red wine.)

***Remarks: Don't say peoples' names or kun(you), kao(he,she), rao(we)
or someone follow "ao" because it's very rude. Do you know why? It concerns
sex, that's the reason.

"yaak" means "want to" is followed by verbs.
Ex: yaak bpai duuem beer (I want to go to drink beer.)
yaak duu TV (I want to watch TV.)
yaak taan kaao (I want to eat.)
yaak tam-ngaan tuk-wan (I want to work everyday.)
yaak maa tee-nee eek (I want to come here again.)
yaak joe pue-an (I want to see a friend.)
yaak mee faen. (I want to have lover.)

Remarks: In Thai language, it doesn't have the rule likes English that must
put "s" when we use he, she or it therefore above examples can use for any subject.
Example, when you want to say "He wants to drink beer. says in Thai "kao yaak
duuem beer."Everyone see? Thai language is not dificult at all.

Is there anyone interested in practice to use "ao & yaak"?
Be get ready and enjoy this exercise. Put "ao or yaak" in the blank.
1. pom ....................... suue pon-la-mai ( I want to buy some fruit.)
2. pom ........................ ruu (I want to know.)
3. pom ........................ bpai Chiang Mai (I want to go to Chiang Mai.)
4. chan ........................ Som Tam (I want papaya salad.)
5. kao mai ......................... rot see kaao (He/She doesn't want the white car.)
("car" means "rot" in Thai language.)
6. kao ........................... ruu-jak kun (He wants to know you.)
7. kao ............................. yuu tee grung-tayp (She wants to stay in Bangkok.)
8. kun ............................ arai? (What do you want?)
9. kun ................................. bpai tee-nai? (Where do you want to go?0
10. rao mai .............................. ngoen, dtae ................................. nang-suue
(We don't want any money, but we want a book.

***Be sure you don't have a look the English meaning before you've done the exercise.

No comments: